11 May 2012 ISAF Offshore Special Regulations
The US Sailing Board approved US Prescription to clear an ambiguity in the 2012-2013 version of ISAF Offshore Special Regulation 4.20.5 e) which calls for an annual inspection by an approved manufacturer's agent of valise packed liferafts. “Inspection” is not a defined process for life raft certification. Racers are being forced to do an early servicing to comply.
"US SAILING prescribes: A life raft built to ISO 9650 Type 1 Group A and packed in a valise shall be serviced in accordance with its manufacturer’s recommendations at least as frequently as is recommended by the manufacturer. US SAILING reminds persons in charge of their responsibilities under OSR 1.02.1 and OSR 1.02.2 and notes that there have been reports that the integrity of valise-packed life rafts can be compromised by mishandling, poor storage, and other factors, and that such conditions may indicate a need for servicing more frequently than is recommended by manufacturers."
This replaces the ISAF version printed below. Emphasis added
A liferaft built to ISO 9650 Part 1 Type Group A packed in a valise shall be inspected annually by an approved manufacturer’s agent and serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions but NOT less frequently than every three years.
May 2012 The US Coast Guard has requested that US Sailing, the National Governing Body for the sport, conduct an independent review of the sailing accident that occurred during the 2012 Crewed Farallones Race from San Francisco, Calif. that resulted in the deaths of five sailors.
Read More »
More Current Safety Studies
- What's New in the 2012 ISAF Offshore Special Regulations
- US SAILING Member Benefit ~ 2012 PHRF Handicap Base Ratings On-Line
- Sailor of the Week June 9 2011 ~ Brad Van Liew ~ sailed into the recordbooks!
- May 2011 - Changes to the US SAILING Prescriptions of ISAF Regulations
- Report from Small Vessel Security Strategy Implementation Plan Executive Summit
- US SAILING Launches Upgrades to Velocity Prediction Program for 2011
- West Marine Voluntary Recall on Certain Tethers June 2010
- 2010-2011 Special Regulations Extracts
- ISAF Sailor Classification